The operation will last between Sept. 15 and Oct. 14, to check violent criminals, agitators and other forms of criminalities.
Related: Biafra National Guard Declares War Against Nigerian Army
Maj-Gen. David Ahmadu, the Chief of Training and Operations, announced this last week at a news conference on Friday in Abuja.
Here are 10 things you should know about the army regular operation – Operation Python Dance II in the south east:
1. The first phase -Operation Python Dance - was launched between Nov. 27 and Dec. 27, 2016 in the zone to tackle kidnapping, armed banditry and other crimes.
2. The second phase of operation would focus on raids, cordon and search, patrol road blocks, as well as “show of force’’ to deal with suspected criminals.
Related: We Are Not After Nnamdi Kanu – Nigerian Army
3. The first phase of the operation was to effectively contain kidnapping and other vices common in the South East during Yuletide. - the army said the effect of that exercise yielded tremendous results and law abiding citizens celebrated 2016 Christmas in safer environment than what it used to be.
4. Operation Ogbu eke II is to expedient action due to spate of assassinations, even in religious places, attacks on security personnel and theft of weapons, kidnapping, armed banditry, violent agitations by secessionist groups, among other crimes that have recently bedevilled the region.
5. The army said that troops will be refreshed and imbibe the requisite skills, to cope with these emerging security challenges within the 82 Division area of responsibility in aid of civil authority necessitated this exercise
6. The exercise is to be conducted in conjunction with other security organisations.
TRENDING: Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Explains Why 'President Buhari Sent Soldiers to Him’
7. The operation will be placed emphasis raids, cordon and search, anti-kidnapping drills, road blocks, check points, patrols, humanitarian relief activities such as medical outreach and show of force to curb the rising threats to national security in the south eastern part of the country.’’
8. The safety and security of law abiding citizens in the area of the operation will be guaranteed as they were “adequately factored into the exercise.”
9. The operation will take place in Enugu, Imo, Anambra, Abia and Ebonyi states
10. Operation Ogbu Eke II will feature a Brigade Headquarters to be stablished in each of five South East states and urged the people of the areas not to panic as their safety was guaranteed.