Recently, media reports were awash with the story of the deportation of about 120 Nigerians by the United Kingdom (UK). The affected Nigerians were said to have been deported by the British immigration authorities on March 19 for non-possession of valid travel documents and work permits, among other required documents.
Most of the forced returnees who were young men and women narrated their harrowing experiences in the UK before they were hurriedly flown home. According to them, they were picked up either at work or on the streets and dragged to the airport to board a cargo flight to Lagos without being allowed to take any of their vital belongings.
But contrary to the initial reports, the UK authorities have clarified that 53 and not 120 Nigerians were deported and that the deportation followed due process. The affected Nigerians were made to face some migration-related panels and went through legal appeals, before their eventual deportation.
This position has also been corroborated by the Nigerian High Commission in London which said that the processes, up to deportation level, were monitored by its senior officials. It also said that those Nigerians were removed from the UK due to the fact that they overstayed their visas or have completed their prison terms.
Furthermore, the deportation of Nigerians from the UK is covered by a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Migration Returns signed by both countries a few years back.
Whatever may be the case, the deportation is a warning to those Nigerians that travel out without the required entry documents and work permits. The deportation will serve as a clarion call to the Nigerian authorities to develop the country industrially and halt the increasing exodus of her youths to other climes in search of greener pastures. Nigeria is richly endowed with enough human and material resources to develop all the sectors of the economy and create jobs for its army of unemployed youths.
It is a pity that in spite of the huge resources at our disposal, our leaders have failed woefully to make the country a happy one for its citizens. In fact, the government has a responsibility to open up the productive base of the economy in order to stem the rising tide of youth joblessness which encourages unnecessary migration and brain drain.
If this is done, the craze to travel abroad among Nigerians will be drastically reduced. It is most unfortunate that these youths leave Nigeria without knowing the unpredictable future that awaits them elsewhere.
In fact, experience has shown that some Nigerians outside would have fared better in Nigeria if they had remained in the country. The fact is that there is no country on earth whose streets are paved with gold. In other words, there is no place where people pick money on the streets.
We enjoin Nigerians, especially the youths, to stop the mad rush to travel outside to do menial jobs that ordinarily they would not do at home. The country has enough resources to make it an industrial giant. All that is needed is pragmatic leadership vision that will propel such economic transformation. This is the time to turn the energy of our youths into high productivity. Let those in charge of the economy put their thinking caps and put the Nigerian house in order.
The government should sit up and make the country attractive so that our youths will not have the excuse to be leaving Nigeria en masse. Nigeria is our only country; we should all work to make it better. Leaving our shores in droves to other developed lands will not solve the problem.
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari Laughs At Lies, Fake News About Him – Okorocha Reveals
- Buhari London Lunch Photo: List of APC Governors and Leaders Present
- 100-Year-Old Mornach Bags Doctorate Degree
- Drug Addicts Invade Cemeteries, Steal And Smoke Human Ashes To Get High
- [Video] Diezani, Orubebe Have Failed Niger Deltans - Asari Dokubo
- Deranged Pedophile Father Arrested For Molesting 13 Year Old Daughter
- Ekiti 2018: APC Will Be Defeated Again, Fayose Boasts
- 9Mobile Unveils New Data Plans, Prices And Subscription Codes [See Details]
- Huge Rats Hang From An Exposed Roof In Lagos Airport [Watch Video]
- PHOTO: Buhari Receives APC Governors In London
- US Govt Goes After Ex-Minister Diezani Alison Madueke
- Gary Cahill Appointed New Chelsea Captain
- Popular Yoruba Author Adebayo Faleti is Dead
- Dismissed Soldier Joins Boko Haram, Attacks Police: Nigerian News Daily (23/07/2017)
- Gov. Dankwambo Endorsed for 2019 Presidential Race
- Nigeria: How Dismissed Military Officer Helped Boko Haram Attack Police in Kano State
- Police in Gun Battle With Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists in Kano State
- Lagos LG Polls: APC Takes Enormous Lead [See Results]
- N1.3m Bill: Hospital Seizes Corpse Of Housewife For 8 Months
- Constitution Fix: Nigerians Aged 35 to Contest for Presidency
- Osogbo: 38 Year Old Slaughters Husband Leaving Three Children To Life Of Poverty
- Nnamdi Kanu is Being Used by Some Powerful Nigerians - Abacha's Ex-CSO Al Mustapha
- Leicester City Confirm Deal For Iheanacho
- 198 Nigerians Deported From Saudi Arabia
- Neymar Agrees Personal Terms With PSG
- Southern Kaduna Killings: Fulani Herdsmen Will Be Shot After 6:30pm - Army Commander
- Nigeria: Today's Newspaper Headlines [23 July, 2017]
- FG Holds Special Luncheon For 106 Freed Chibok Girls [PHOTOS]
- Anglican Church Cancels Reverend's Wedding, Sends Guests Packing
- Charly Boy to Igbos: Biafra is a Waste of Time, Find Something Better To Do
- 3 Suicide Bombers Shot Down at Military Location in Konduga, Borno
- Nigeria's Greatest Curse Is Buhari, Followed By Aregbesola: Fani Kayode
- God Allowed Trump to Win US Elections so America Can Be Humble - Obasanjo
- Arsenal Vs Chelsea: Why Conte Allowed Wenger Bring On Giroud Despite Team Sheet Error
- Fani Kayode Replies Presidency- When Buhari Returns to Nigeria, Corspsocracy Will Happen
- Nigeria Army Saves Injured Boko Haram Terrorist Abandoned by His Colleagues [PHOTO]
- OPINION: 'The Deteriorating Mind of Femi Adesina' by Femi Fani-Kayode
- Lagos LG Elections: APC Records Landslide Victory at Ambode Polling Unit
- Lagos LG Poll Results [UNOFFICIAL]
- Senator Adamu: My Children Are Jobless Under Buhari: Nigeria News Daily (22/07/2017)